Are you the System Administrator who can take responsibility for supporting powerful systems for aggregating cultural content using cloud technologies? Are you passionate about applying your skills in the cultural heritage domain or interested in working in an international environment? Apply now for this vacancy!
We are looking for a System Administrator to ensure that the underlying systems and infrastructure that power our digital products are fit for purpose, reliable, and secure. As System Administrator you would take responsibility for supporting powerful systems for aggregating cultural content using cloud technologies. The role includes important responsibilities for maintaining and managing systems, proposing technical solutions, assessing risks and opportunities, and communicating with technical stakeholders.
The role would be ideal for someone who is passionate about applying her/his skills in the cultural heritage domain or interested in working in an international environment.
We work only with Open Source software, for both our servers and applications, and we also make our own software available as Open Source. You will be encouraged to give back to the Open Source community and share your experience and knowledge with your teammates, and also with other developers in the libraries, archives and museum communities.
As the System Administrator, you will be joining a department of 30 with colleagues from various backgrounds and countries. The team members are divided into several Scrum teams covering data ingestion, APIs, search, and the Europeana website. You would work very closely with your line manager to provide cover for systems support when each other is on leave.
● Perform system administration for systems running on Linux platforms (Ubuntu/Debian)
● Support Linux systems and run applications developed using Java platform
● Perform research, analysis, problem re-creation, troubleshooting and identify potential resolutions for operating systems, application and resource contingency issues
● Maintain system security and integrity controls.
● Help to formulate policies, procedures and standards relating to system administration and management
● Develop system monitoring capacities. Conduct daily system monitoring and system maintenance activities
● Maintain documentation related to system administration and operations.
● Investigate system performance issues to improve its reliability, maintainability and performance of the system
● Perform and manage deployments to production and staging environments
● Develop and implement backup policies
● Work closely with the development team to support it in system-related tasks
● Maintain user management related to office tools such as Google Suite
● Keep track of the existing hardware and software used across the office
Knowledge and Experience required
● University level education in computer science or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
● 4+ years of system administration experience
● Understanding and knowledge of system administration, database and server-side programming concepts
○ with live production systems
○ with installation, configuration and system administration with Linux
(Ubuntu/Debian), Ansible, MySQL, MongoDB, Apache Solr)
○ in setting up and configuration of Jenkins
○ in setting up and configuring monitoring solutions like Nagios or Grafana
○ with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
● Good written and spoken English with an ability to express complex technical
ideas to a non-technical audience
Further, it is a plus if you have experience:
● with Kubernetes or Cloud Foundry
● in software development in Java or Ruby
Your monthly salary is estimated between EUR 3,500 - 4,000 (based on full-time employment), depending on the level of your experience
● Additionally, you will receive a (pro-rated) holiday allowance of 8% and an annual(year-end, pro-rated) bonus of 8.33%.
● 1 year fixed term contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability.
● We offer 42.25 days holiday per year (based on full-time employment).
● We provide a company laptop and offer a WFH allowance to compensate monthly the costs while working from home and not being able to work from the office (Covid-19 / exceptional circumstances).
Europeana empowers the cultural heritage sector in its digital transformation. We develop expertise, tools and policies to embrace digital change and encourage partnerships that foster innovation. We make it easier for people to use cultural heritage for education, research, creation and recreation. Our work contributes to an open, knowledgeable and creative society.
The Europeana Foundation is an independent, non-profit organisation that operates the
Europeana platform and contributes to other digital initiatives that put cultural heritage to good use in the world. At the Europeana Foundation we work to democratise access to culture - digitally - so that everyone in our society is empowered to embrace diversity and flourish.
Our office is based in the National Library of the Netherlands, next to The Hague Central Station.
Hoe nu verder
Ben jij geïnteresseerd in bovenstaand profiel? Europeana Foundation ziet graag jouw sollicitatie tegemoet! Door middel van het klikken op de solliciteerbutton kom je in een overzichtelijk sollicitatiescherm waar je met jouw CV, LinkedIn profiel of onze CV bouwer kan reageren op de vacature van System Administrator Linux.